Saturday, February 7, 2009

What kind of Mexican am I?



It came to my attention the other day that I don't know how to make much Mexican food. I can make quesadillas, chorizo and eggs, and super-quick tortilla soup, but that's about it. I figured it was time to step up and represent my culture.
My mom had bought 6 dozen corn tortillas and sent me home with half so I needed to get rid of them. I found a from scratch enchilada sauce recipe on-line and after watching Martha's Cooking School segment on making rice, I decided to make Spanish rice.
The rice was a disaster. I went to the store to buy all the ingredients thinking that I had rice, which I did but it was brown rice. I decided to use it any way. I consulted my sister and some online recipes. It looked promising but after the 20 minutes of cooking the rice didn't absorb the liquid.
The enchiladas were good. I got the recipe for the sauce from Recipezaar. It was easy to make and tasted good. My aunt makes some really good enchiladas at her restaurant, El Matador in Dumas, Texas. This sauce doesn't compare to that one, but I am happy with it and now I feel like a Mexican.

No comments: