Sunday, January 18, 2009

Mama Ninfa's Vs. Teotihuacan

Many have urged the Busters to try the original Mama Ninfa's (located on Navigation in Houston, Texas), including that redheaded spitfire Kathy Griffin.
Getting seated...
So we made our way through the traffic at 6 p.m. on a Friday. When we got there the parking lot was packed. After we parked we strolled around the building and saw the line. I went to put our name down with the hostess and she told me just to wait in line, there was no need to leave my name. I was a little concerned. The entrance was packed. It turns out Mama Ninfa prefers a casual seating procedure that makes one appreciate the traditional and comfortable "leave your name, the wait will be 15 to 20 minutes for your name to be called" procedure. We did not stand in line long as another lady made her way down the line offering a seat on the patio. We opted for a seat on the heated patio, since it was freezing Texas-style (I think it was about 50 degrees that night).
Food...
Of course we had to get the queso flameado. It was fantastic. The waitress brought it with home-made flour tortillas. She used two spoons, cut the cheese (insert middle school humor here ) and made four beautiful taquitos. Never once did she touch anything with her hands. The queso was "delicioso." The mix of chorizo and that amazing cheese was perfect. So I was optimistic about the food. I ordered three empanadas, which had three different fillings (it is hard to remember which had what because nothing tasted as it should...I know one had chorizo, another had mole, and the last I can't remember) rice and beans. Buster ordered a combination plate that included an enchilada, taco, rice and beans.
The empandas were decent. The crust was extremely flaky and the filling was edible. When I order something that has the word "mole" in it. I am expecting the sweet, savory sauce that hugs my tummy. I never got that. The rice and beans were good.

Buster felt the same about his plate. Everything was alright. It made me long for Teotihuacan....

Teo's....
Oh MY GOD! I love this place. Not has fancy as Mama Ninfa's. It is very hole in the wall, but it blows Mama Ninfa's out the water. So Saturday morning Buster and I made our way to Teo's (for short) to redeem last nights mediocre meal.


This was our first time eating breakfast there. I got huevos rancheros con fajitas and Buster got chorizo. Both plates came with beans, potatoes, and a tamal. Both dishes were amazing. The tamal was all masa with a sliver of bell pepper. We were worried but it served as a nice bread to help clean the plate.We have been there for dinner a few times...everything we have ordered is good (expect for the shrimp quesdillas). Mama Ninfa's does have a better queso flameado, but Teo's serves them with HOME-MADE CORN TORTILLAS! I am in love.

Verdict:
EAT AT TEOTIHUACAN!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like good eats!!

Aleka's World said...

hmmm... i don't think i've ever been to Teo... but i LOVES ME some Ninfa's!!! Maybe you ordered the wrong thing! You have to give it another shot! Their fajitas are DABOMB!!!