Sunday, March 8, 2009

Martha's Paul Bunyan Cookie


I don't bake, well not until a few hours ago. I was watching a Martha Stewart podcast and she made Paul Bunyan Cookies (click the link for the recipe). These cookies stuck in my mind and I decided I would make them this weekend. I was a little intimidated because I don't have a Robin's Egg Blue mixer and the only thing I have ever really baked was chicken.
I followed the recipe exactly, except instead of vegetable shortening I used butter. I read a comment on Martha's website where someone suggested this and I usually don't have any use for shortening; it just sits in my cabinet. I had never used molasses before but I remember hearing many times to spray your measuring cup with Pam so that the molasses pours smoothly and it did.



I have to admit I am happy with the outcome. I didn't burn them and they are edible. To quote my Buster "It is a nice balance of chewing and crispy." The oats, chocolate, raisins, and walnuts create a nice texture. I chopped the walnuts a little too fine so they are sublet. I think next time I am going to chop the walnuts coarsely.

No comments: